REPORTS TO: GENERAL MANAGER
DIRECT REPORTS: STORE MANAGERS AND RELIEF STORE MANAGERS
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To direct and oversee all the retail store operations working closely with the Finance, Category Management and Human Resource Departments and the Operations Teams to maximize the profits and efficiencies of the retail stores. To ensure the attainment of pre-agreed targets and getting new/remodeled stores operational.
- Increase the Store’s profitability.
- Provide periodic updates on sales performance by store and category for review by the CEO-Domestic Foods, the General Manager, Support Staff and Store Managers.
- Review the operations of the stores continuously and ensure compliance with Company policies ad regulatory requirements.
- Review reports on Store Operational Audits and ensure that all agreed
recommendations are implemented.
- Conduct periodic store visits to assigned locations to review operations and assess
the performance of the store management and document findings and corrective
actions which may arise from such visits.
- Analyse Company’s operations and financial results by store and identify and
develop plans for improvements.
- Conduct Quarterly Performance Review meetings at assigned retail locations.
- Keep abreast of new trends in retailing locally and internationally and introduce
such trends where appropriate.
- Use forecasting and tracking tools for sales, labour, supplies and other expenses
and train retail personnel on their usage.
- Monitor the expenses incurred by the respective stores to ensure proper use of
- Ensure that the stores and central warehouse transactions (purchases, cost of sales,
transfers, write offs and any other adjustments) are complete, accurate, timely and
- Review control procedures and operating programs to ascertain whether the
results are consistent with established goals and are effective in producing
accurate, complete, timely and reliable information.
- Assess the root cause of spoilages and put procedures in place to mitigate and
- Ensure that the stores are carrying out the daily control activities in accordance
with the Stores’ Procedural Manual, which will safeguard the company’s assets.
- Ensure that proper purchase procedures are being adhered to that will result in the
achievement of targeted service levels, inventory turns and positive cash flows.
- Ensure compliance by the retail stores with inventory management policies and
procedures and ensure that stock losses are kept within budget.
- Assist with the development of the annual Business Plans and Budgets.
- Develop, review and maintain operational manuals and procedures and ensure
- Manage the Western Union Programme for designated stores
- Manage the Disaster Preparedness Programme for the designated Retail
- Work in collaboration with the Divisional Security Manager to ensure that all
security issues of the Retail Stores are addressed.
- Ensure high levels of customer service is maintained in assigned stores.
- Conduct performance appraisals for direct reports, this includes setting
quantifiable objectives and Key result Areas and conduct at least two formal
appraisals per year.
- Conduct training and coaching of Store Managers to ensure that they are equipped
to carry out their functions effectively.
- Ensure that the retail stores implement the category and marketing initiatives.
- Ensure that someone is identified and trained as a successor in waiting.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned as deemed necessary.
- Quality and timeliness of Audits
- Quality and timeliness of reports
- Store’s compliance with regulatory requirements
- Store’s achievement of Monthly Performance targets
- Response rate to problems and issues
- Utilization of initiative in addressing and averting problems/issues.
- Minimum Education and Experience:
- A Bachelors Degree in Business Administration or Accounting or its equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years management experience at a senior level in the Retail
- Previous multi-unit retail merchandising experience in a senior management
- Experience in the grocery and fresh food areas is highly desirable.
- Sound knowledge of all aspects of store management and operations.
- Sound knowledge of the Jamaican retail/wholesale market and distribution of
consumer goods is preferable.
- Working knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong customer relations skills.
- Excellent people & team building skills.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- High Integrity.
- High level of Initiative